There are different audio formats out there, but the most common of them is mp3. Most of the songs are made in this format. Due to this it has universal compatibility and supports almost every music player. So, why would you need to convert a mp3 file to m4r file? Let’s find out.
mp3 audio format
So, mp3 is a file extension and a compression method that makes use of the MPEG (The Moving Pictures Experts Group) standard to reduce the size of a file. MP3 is commonly used to store a song.
The compression factor of mp3 is around 12. So a 30 MB sound file from a CD will be reduced to 3 megabytes or so in MP3 format. Also, the data loss is quite minimal, so there will be no noticeable change in the audio quality.
m4r audio format
Probably you wouldn’t have heard about this format as it is not as widely used as mp3. A file with an M4R extension is an iTunes ringtone file. They can be created and transferred to an iPhone to use it as a custom ringtone. Apple devices only support the m4r format for ringtones.
The custom iTunes Ringtone files in the m4r format are actually just .M4A files that have been renamed to .M4R. Apple changed the file extension only to differentiate their audio from other formats, and to use it specifically as a ringtone format.
Converting the files
Now that you know the basics about these two audio formats. Let’s dive into the methods we can use to convert any mp3 file to an m4r file.
There are many free tools to convert mp3 to m4r, these tools are open source. You just need an active internet connection for it to work. Some of the top Kickgadget picks are
Convert Files – Convert MP3 to M4R Online
This website is completely basic and straight-forward, you just have to upload the mp3 file and download the m4r file within minutes. You can also follow the below mentioned steps.
- There are two options for you to choose a local file or paste a download link here.
- Click the Browse option which is located on the right side of Choose a local file, now open the local file.
- After that, the Input format option will be filled with the corresponding file format.
- Move to the right side and you can see Output format. Choose the desired format you want to convert the file to from the given menu.
- Finally, select the convert option and then you can convert the mp3 file to the iPhone ringtone.
Another good online conversion tool is Zamzar, offering great file conversion from the website itself. It is just that the free version of this tool only allows 2 file conversions per day.
- Click the leftmost Add Files button and add the file you want to convert.
- The m4r format is set by default. Moreover, there is a choose format option also available with the website.
- After you finish the first two steps, just click Convert Now and you are ready to download it to your local storage.
- Alternatively, you can check the Email when done option and type your email address to receive the relevant download link.
This conversion tool allows you to convert the mp3 file to iPhone ringtone online without having to download it.
If you own an Apple device, then there is no need to go anywhere else, as you can convert it within the iTunes app itself. Let’s see the steps
- Startup your iTunes to drag and drop the music file. Then right-click the file and scroll down until you see Get Info.
- Click Get Info to access the Options button. Then, under Options set up the start and stop time of the ringtone.
- Click the File menu in the top left corner of the screen, and select the Convert option and then click Create AAC Version.
- After the new file is created, right-click it and tap on Show in File Explorer.
- Now, change the file extension from .m4a to .m4r which is the required file format for iPhone ringtones.
- Open iTunes again and delete the original file. Then connect your iPhone with your computer using iTunes.
- Click on the iTunes button and drag and drop the converted m4r file into iTunes. It will be automatically synced to your iPhone.
These different methods that are stated above are about how to convert mp3 music files to m4r iPhone ringtone. The process is quite tedious without proper knowledge. People not having internet should prefer iTunes as it is capable of working offline.
That’s all, for now, buddy, If you like the article then please comment and give your feedback, check more of the author’s articles. Do bookmark Kickgadget for more amazing content!